Enabling the production scale up of a safe, low pressure hydrogen storage technology and demonstrating its capabilities at the European Marine Energy Centres (EMEC) site on the Island of Orkney.
WHO WAS THE CUSTOMER?
SHyLO (Solid Hydrogen at Low pressures) is a CR&D project led by H2GO, funded by the UK Department for Business, Energy, & Industrial Strategy (BEIS) as part of the Low Carbon Hydrogen Supply Competition: Stream 2. SHyLO is an ambitious project that will deliver a large- scale prototype solid hydrogen storage system.
WHAT WAS THE BRIEF?
The UK government has identified the opportunity to use hydrogen as a net Zero energy source, replacing the use of natural gas as a fuel. The key challenges surrounding this approach include the intermittency of its availability, which highlights energy storage as more important than ever.
The SHyLO project will develop H2GO’s first MWh demonstrator of their solid hydrogen storage technology, providing large scale storage capabilities using a modular containerized approach, with subsequent field testing and approval. It includes development, prototyping, site integration and validation and manufacturing upscaling activities as well as in the determination for safety regulations.
WHY WERE HSSMI BROUGHT IN?
HSSMI are working with H2GO to develop the manufacturing strategy for the H2GO hydrogen storage solution, enabling future roll-out of the technology across the UK and beyond. We were brought in as a partner to provide in- house expertise to define their high-volume manufacturing process, develop manufacturing facility layouts and determine key suppliers in their supply chain, whilst also enabling us to develop new knowledge on high volume manufacturing processes for this emergent sector.
WHAT DID HSSMI DO TO DELIVER THE RESULTS?
The project is just over halfway to being completed. HSSMI has added value to the project during the first 12 months by;
- Defining an initial manufacturing process for the H2GO hydrogen storage system, from an initial BoP, from the perspective of high-volume manufacturing, alongside the ongoing design/ build activities.
- Developing a design for manufacture approach by analysis of the design and manufacturing process of the containerised solution. identifying opportunities to implement design for manufacture characteristics and changes to process. Enhancing manufacturing scale-up to optimise cost, volume and quality outputs for their product.
- Defining a blueprint for a volume manufacturing facility of the H2GO demonstrator storage system.
WHAT WERE THE OUTPUTS?
The current project doesn’t finish for another year, in which time the final storage system will undergo a series of validation testing procedures at the EMEC site, confirming its potential to provide solid hydrogen storage at scale.
However, HSSMI will deliver a high-volume bill of process, bill of sequence, cycle times, required manufacturing equipment, and material handling activities that will all be key components to provide H2GO with a facility to deliver the high-volume scale-up ambitions for their hydrogen storage solution.
WHAT IMPACT DID THIS MAKE?
Through HSSMI support and expertise, H2GO have been able to develop their concept of
a modular hydrogen storage system into a practical prototype demonstrating its capability at the EMEC site. Through the development of the manufacturing strategy our work will enable the future roll-out of the technology across the UK and beyond The impact of the SHyLO project has already been demonstrated by BEIS providing funding for a follow-on project to develop a full production prototype system (SHyGaN).
COMPETITIVE ADVANTAGES OF H2GO’s SOLID STATE HYDROGEN SOLUTION:
- Solid-state storage operates near ambient pressures and temperatures, enabling higher efficiency and lower cost storage by eliminating the need for compression and the cooling required by cryogenic liquid storage.
- Storage efficiency is improved due to the larger volumetric energy density of solid-state hydrogen storage.
- The low pressure requirements of a solid-state storage solution eliminates any potential fast vaporisation which can lead to catastrophic failures, improving the overall system safety.
- Hydrogen can be stored using H2GO Power’s solid-state technology for extended periods of time and offers three times the lifetime of battery solutions.
- The H2GO Power solution utilises a standard ISO shipping container design, which makes it a modular, scalable, and easily deployable technology that is suitable for a wide range of environments, including urban environments, basements of city blocks, and oil and gas platforms.
(Advancing solid-state hydrogen storage towards commercialisation (2022) HSSMI.)
Contact us today for a short initial conversation on how HSSMI can help your organisation achieve its strategic goals.